Cancel your weekend plans, it's time to mask & chill.
If you want the hair of your dreams but don't have the time for DIYs, let us introduce you to hair masking. Hair masks are great for adding moisture back to your strands. It's other benefits include:
- leaving your hair shinier and softer
- reducing hair breakage
- reducing frizziness
- strengthening your strands
- repairs damaged hair
Don't know where to start with hair masking? We've got you covered. Here are some tips to help you start masking.
1. AU-NATURAL, BABY 🌸
If you're buying a ready-made hair mask, opt for products that contain natural ingredients like oils, butters, and plant extracts without chemicals and preservatives.
Pro tip: look for hair masks containing hydrating ingredients like avocado oil and grapeseed oil (both of which can be found in our super cute Watermelon Crush Hair Mask). For extra moisture, look for products containing coconut oil and eggs.
2. LATHER UP 🛁
Now that you're a hair mask-connoisseur, you need to apply your mask correctly for ideal results. Most hair masks work best when applied to clean, towel-dried hair that’s still damp.
However, if you’re using a hair mask made mostly of oil, like coconut oil, apply the mask to dry hair.
3. ONE, TWO, THREE, MASK ⏰
You've set the self-care mood. You know what that means- it's time to mask. Follow these steps for shiny, healthy hair!
- It's about to get messy. Make sure you're wearing an old t-shirt or a towel over your shoulders before applying your mask.
- If you have longer or thick hair, divide it into sections.
- Use your fingers or a brush to apply the mask evenly in your hair. Start applying to your ends and work your way up to your scalp.
- Once the mask has been worked into the ends of your hair, you can work your way up and gently apply to your scalp. For oily hair, apply to the mid-shaft of your hair and work down to your ends.
- After you've applied your mask evenly, run a wide-tooth come through your hair to make sure it applies evenly.
- Clip your hair up gently and let the mask sit.
- Leave the mask on for at least 20 to 30 minutes or based on the mask's instructions.
- Rinse out thoroughly with cool water. Cooler water helps seal moisture in your hair cuticle and helps your hair retain moisture.
- Air-dry or heat-style as usual.
For dry, frizzy, or damaged hair, you can apply a hair mask once a week. If your hair tends to be oilier, try using one every couple of weeks. Don't forget to apply regularly to see a difference! Say goodbye to frizzy dry hair and hello to good hair days.
Don't know which hair mask to get started with? Try our Watermelon Crush Hair Mask. It's affordable, effective, and formulated with watermelon extract, rice powder, avocado oil, and grapeseed oil 🍉 🍚🍇 🥑. It's paraben free, free of SLS, and synthetic fragrances so you get only the good stuff.